Valve has released a chart of the top 100 selling games on its PC client, Steam.
The awards – split into platinum, gold, silver, and bronze categories – represent the top games as measured by gross revenue in 2016. Leading the charge is Dark Souls 3, followed by Rocket League, The Witcher 3, and Fallout 4. Other big sellers include Dota 2, CS: GO, and Parlock’s favourite, The Division.
Oh, and LOADS of people are still buying Grand Theft Auto 5.
Interestingly, critic favourites like Dishonored 2 and Firewatch only managed to secure places in the Bronze tier, with Watch Dogs 2 placing in Silver – meaning games released several years ago still managed to gross more. Of course, Dishonored 2 and Watch Dogs 2 only released at the end of the year, so, naturally, take that with a pinch of salt. It’ll be interesting to see how much they earn in 2017, though, right?
Talking of Steam Awards, here’s the 2016 winners for a range of interesting cateogries, including Villian Most in Need of a Hug, and I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award. Enjoy!
- Villain Most In Need Of A Hug — Portal 2
- I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award — Euro Truck Simulator 2
- Test Of Time — Skyrim
- Just Five More Minutes — Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
- “Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!” — Grand Theft Auto V
- Game Within A Game — Grand Theft Auto V
- I’m Not Crying, There’s Something In My Eye — Telltale’s The Walking Dead
- Best Use Of A Farm Animal — Goat Simulator
- Boom Boom – Doom
- Love/Hate Relationship — Dark Souls III
- Sit Back And Relax — Euro Truck Simulator 2
- Better With Friends — Left 4 Dead 2